Tuesday, February 21, 2006

A Legend Passes On

This blog has nothing to do with London, but since you people know to come to this one while I am here, and not SHoS, I am posting this here.

The Legend that is Emmons Kitty has passed on. Yes, that friendly animal that you all came to love...or torment had a stroke yesterday. She was left crippled and mentally unstable by the stroke and my parents joined her yesterday at the vet to put her down. My family, and many of you, my friends had been blessed by Emmons for thirteen years. Fond memories of my interaction with Emmons came to mind this morning when I got the news from my Mom in an email. I remember putting her in a blanket, hotdog style, with a friend on the other end, and spinning it her around like a jump rope. I won't forget how many times I held her on her back and flipped her through the air to see if she would land on her feet. To my surprise, she landed on all fours every single time. Nor will I forget her fondness for the outdoors, it didn't extend pass the lawn because she would just sit there and graze...literally like a cow. I really do believe she was happiest in her life the few times I let her do that. If you didn't see Emmons take on a plate of food you missed out. She was like a Hoover. Forget trying to munch on the kitty kernels one at a time. She would open wide and sink her face into that bowl of food. For the food to disappear as quickly as it did she had to swallow some of those things whole. There is no other way such a feat could have been achieved. It didn't take me that long to don on her the affectionate nickname, Beefcake. She wore it proudly and always loved a good belly scratch. She did have an alter ego though. When my friends came around, specifically some of those reading this now, she would put those ears back, dilate her eyes and put on a hiss fiesta. Emmons didn't have any front claws, but that never kept her from trying to swat at our hands the many times they attempted to pet her when she was in such a mood. I always did love getting a nose full of that breath. Mmm, fish and other rottenness.

This is my tribute to a memorable feline, Emmons, that left us on this day, the 20th of February, in the year of Our Lord, 2006.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The hissing guard at the top of the stairs will be deeply missed on my part. I shall pour out a little cat chow for my passed feline freind. Goodbye Emmons kitty.